All the Shiny New Projects: Log Cabins

Lest you think all I’ve done this year is shop, to paraphrase a current commercial, there’s been a whole lot of doin’ in here.

Way back in the before time, Mary Ellen Hopkins, one of the quilting world’s Olympians when I started, recommended cutting log cabin strips no wider than 1.25″. I ended up with this bin full of strips just waiting to be used. I had a picture of it with the strips but lost all the pictures I hadn’t uploaded when my phone had to be reset to factory defaults earlier this week. Sigh.

When the Quilters Hall of Fame celebration came around this summer, I signed up for Sue Troyan’s Log Cabin class. Unfortunately, Sue had to cancel due to a death in the family. I decided not to cancel the class. The cutting list called for 1.25″ wide strips except for the last round which was to be 1.5″ to allow a little extra for trimming to end up with a block the right size.

The HOF found a substitute teacher. The class ended up being simply a paper piecing class which I didn’t really need. Of course, we didn’t get any of Sue’s tips for making the block. I made 24 paper pieced blocks using the foundatons from the class. After that, I decided that as long as I was cutting the pieces to size, I could dispense with the paper if I heavily starched the strips. I didn’t need to cut larger strips for the outside round since the blocks would come out the correct size.

This is where I would show a picture of the strips hanging on the drying rack if I still had it.

This is the first quilt from the log cabin bin. I used Bonnie Hunter’s definition of a neutral for the lights. Part way through I ran out of those strips so cut some shirtings.

wpid-20151101_155207.jpg

For the rest of the blocks I decided to use white on white prints for the light side and put any remaining light background strips on the dark side. I figured the whites would provide enough contrast for that to work.

This bin was full to the brim of logs after I cut up all the strips in my bin and added light strips from stash. I lost that picture, too. It looked so nice with all the logs lined up like little soldiers.

wpid-20150924_173939.jpg

The logs in that bin turned into these blocks. There are about 140 if I counted correctly when I cut the logs.

wpid-20150925_132024.jpg

I haven’t decided how big the quilts will be or what settings I’ll use. For now, these are a pile of blocks. I moved on to other things.

Advertisements

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s