Posts Tagged ‘String Weaver’

2019 Finishes

January 1, 2020

Well, this was a shock! I felt like I’d accomplished a lot and had a bunch of finishes this year. As I went through my posts for 2019 I only found one finish that was posted. I do have other finishes so I will go back and post them so I can include them in this roundup.  I need to do a better job of posting my finishes in 2020.

I got 7 quilts back from a long-armer shortly before I left for the Christmas holiday and I already had 4 (I think) quilts waiting for binding. I’ve got 3 more ready for quilting.  I have one quilt at my primary long-armer which should be coming back soon because I need it for our quilt show in April. I’ve got lots of blocks ready to be assembled into quilts. One quilt is waiting for a backing so it is almost ready for the quilter. Another just needs borders sewn on and backing made and it will be ready. 2020 should have a bumper crop of finishes if I can keep up with the binding, backings and labels.

So, on to what did get finished in 2019.

The March Snowman, Going in Like a Lion, Coming Out Like a Lamb, from the Snowmen Will Melt Your Heart collection is the only one of the Snow people that was completely finished (no label yet, sigh). January, February, April, and May are ready to quilt. I finally finished the embroidery for June and it is ready for assembly. The July-December pieces are still waiting their turn for realization.

marchsnowman

I Used to be a Layer Cake was finished in April.

iusedtobealayercake1

Flying Home was finished in the first half of the year.

flyinghome_front

T for Two was finished in time for me to gift it when I went to Illinois in early May.

tfortwo

Mocha Meringue was finished in the fall.

mochameringue_front

Sweet Poison was finished sometime around mid-2019.

sweetpoisonfront

In the Pink was finished in late summer or fall.

inthepink_front

9-patch blues was finished December 29.

9patchblues_front

String Weaver was finished December 28.

stringweaver_front

I think that’s it for 2019. I can’t think of anything else that was finished in 2019. I will try to post my finishes more timely in 2020.

String Weaver finished 2019

January 1, 2020

This quilt was made from scraps. I was tired of doing the diagonal string thing so sewed them straight up and down and set them to look like they’re woven, one color one direction, the other color the other direction. It is 50″ x 61.5″. This was finished December 28. The binding is pink with black polka dots.

Once again, the quilt is straight and even, the pictures aren’t.

stringweaver_front

The back is the same one used on T for Two.

stringweaver_back

Daria Phair quilted it with a butterfly edge-to-edge design.

stringweaver_quilting

This was made with the idea that it would be a donation or gift. I’m finding that when I made a quilt for someone specific from the get-go I don’t have a problem giving it up when it is finished. I’m going to have a hard time giving up these quilts made for non-specific destinations. Sigh.

Again, will have to update after a label is made.

Good Fortune: Clue 4

December 17, 2018

This week Bonnie asked us to do string piecing. I love string piecing but I don’t have much in the way of orange strings. I need orange strings because I want to do Bonnie’s pumpkin quilt. I decided to go with the  strip piecing option for the mystery quilt. As I cut each fabric with my Stripology ruler I used the straightening cut as an opportunity to cut strings for the pumpkin quilt. I also cut 1.5″, 2″ and 2.5″ strips for my strip stash. I have a new addition to my fabric room for storing these. More about that in a future post.

In order to get a scrappier look I cut them into short strips to get 1-2 segments from each strip set.

IMG_20181215_103258.jpg

The strips are laid out, ready to combine into strip sets. I think I should be able to get strip sets that are all different combinations, theoretically. However, I suck at being random. I got what I got so it will have to do.

IMG_20181215_153017.jpg

All done. This was a very quick clue to make. I cut the strips Friday afternoon and finished sewing mid-afternoon on Saturday.

I wasn’t ready to stop sewing Saturday after I finished the clue so I put the borders on this string quilt. I told you I like doing string piecing. I’m calling this one String Weaver.

IMG_20181213_175920.jpg

I also finished the last of the Sweet Poison blocks. They are the ones on the left. The ones on the right were done earlier but not shown yet. Now that project is ready for layout.

Along the way these leader/enders were sewn.

IMG_20181216_142638.jpg

As well as these 16-patch blocks.

IMG_20181213_180106.jpg

That’s the end of my machine sewing for the year. My two Janome machines are going in for maintenance and repair on Monday. That means the next time I can work on a mystery clue is January. I hope she doesn’t do a rapid finish this year. I’d like to catch up before I know what the final result looks like.

This week will be spent getting ready for the holidays. If I find time maybe I can make myself work on one of the Ladies of the Sea blocks.

Thanks for visiting. I’d love for you to leave a comment.

Visit Bonnie Hunter’s blog to see what other mystery quilt makers are sharing.